Hate to give up

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 3 00:35:07 UTC 2009

On 06/01/2009 11:46 PM, John Heinen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>>> cat /etc/resolv.config
>>>
>>> Please pay attention to the commands provided.
>>>

>> Dang... my apologies, now you've got me doing it. The command is:
>>
>> cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>

> I am getting a litle bit confused, (my problem) I think that the problem
> is the basic instruction setting up pppconfig, When I do enter the dns
> numbers pppconfig reverts back to static, After pon dials the provider
> it makes a connection with the provider, (earthlink.net) and than it
> hangs in there, connection is made but earthlinks computer is getting
> same wrong info and it keeps asking. I can see that on the modems
> blinkers and on my telephone, we are connected but can't be proccessed.
> Is there a bug in ubuntu 8.10 live/install dvd?
> Perhaps we should cover the instalation from the very beginning step by
> step, I really really would appreciate that.
> Gratefull for all the input John Heinen

You wrote (in Leonard's thread):

sorry about the e
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat: /etc/resolv.conf No such file or directory

googling found a few cases where this was the case, are you by chance
running kubuntu (kde?):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdenetwork/+bug/36655
[pppd dies on connection]
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdenetwork/+bug/36655/comments/13>
<quote>

OK, got it installed using manual partitioning.

/etc/ppp/peers/kppp.options is now configured correctly.

/etc/resolv.conf is still not created. I had to manually create the file.

Kppp then connected after manually creating resolv.conf.
</quote>

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdenetwork/+bug/16269/comments/2>
[KPPP fails to connect]
<quote>
The script for modem users should also create the empty
file /etc/resolv.conf for dial up modem users so kppp does not display
that error message on startup.
</quote>

So, it's possible that this is one of the primary problems. Please
*create* an /etc/resolv.conf file:

$ gksu gedit /etc/resolv.conf

then enter:
nameserver 207.69.188.185
nameserver 207.69.188.186
nameserver 207.69.188.186
and save the file.

Now try to ping yahoo.com and google.com.