PDF Editor in Ubuntu

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:23:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, 31 May 2009 15:19:23 -0400
jack wallen <jlwallen at monkeypantz.net> wrote:

> Have you tried PDF Studio?
>
> http://www.qoppa.com/psindex.html
[snipped]

It states on the website that it uses Qoppa's proprietary software to
amend documents so I'm afraid that's out for me.

Instead, look at flpsed.  Its in the repos and this is the description
in Synaptic:

"flpsed is a WYSIWYG pseudo PostScript editor. "Pseudo", because you
can't remove or modify existing elements of a document. But flpsed lets
you add arbitrary text lines to existing PostScript 1 documents. Added
lines can later be re-edited with flpsed. Using pdftops, which is part
of xpdf one can convert PDF documents to PostScript and also add text
to them. flpsed is useful for filling in forms, adding notes etc."

There are all sorts of licensing and patent problems when messing about
with Adobe documents (the usual method of creating PDF documents is
with Acrobat) that you're far better off translating then into another
format first. A close relative of PDF is Postscript/Ghostscript for
which there are a myriad of applications in the repos... 8-)

--

Graham Todd