CD/DVD Cann't use

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 21:25:18 UTC 2009

MirJafar Ali wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> MirJafar Ali wrote:

>> and
>> from.

>> not

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> lspci didn't show any cd drive and the Bios settings are default in which
>> CD
>>> Drive is enabled.
>>> Now how should I proceed ?
>>>
>>> Mir
>>>

>>         I was wrong. You will see with lspci this:
>>
>>  IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
>>
>> It is called the IDE interface and you should have this.
>>
>>        Well if the BIOS says it see's the cd drive then your Ubuntu should
>> pick it up.
>>
>>        Is the cable to the cd drive a wide flat cable or a narrow usually
>> red
>> cable?  Check that you can open and close the cd drive platform.
>>
>>        There must still be something wrong. Hard to tell what at a
>> distance.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>        Linux User
>>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>        Key ID = 3951B48D
>>

>> --
>>

> Hello
>
> I used lshw and saw the following:
>
> *-cdrom
>                 product: DVD-RAM GH22NP20
>                 vendor: HL-DT-ST
>                 physical id: 0.0.0
>                 bus info: scsi at 0:0.0.0
>                 logical name: /dev/cdrom
>                 logical name: /dev/cdrw
>                 logical name: /dev/dvd
>                 logical name: /dev/dvdrw
>                 logical name: /dev/scd0
>                 logical name: /dev/sr0
>                 version: 1.00
>                 serial: [HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22NP201.0008/05/09 7U01
>                 capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
>                 configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
>

> Does this means that DVD is recognized ? If yes, then still I can use
> mplayer.
>
> csv

Here is my lshw:

pata_amd
        *-cdrom
             product: DVDRW LH-20A1P
             vendor: LITE-ON
             physical id: 0.1.0
             bus info: scsi at 0:0.1.0
             logical name: /dev/cdrom
             logical name: /dev/dvd
             logical name: /dev/scd0
             logical name: /dev/sr0
             version: KL0A
             capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
             configuration: ansiversion=5 status=open

	My equipment is different but looks to be installed just as yours is,
and mine works just fine. Please try a music and a data CD-Rom and see
if it works good with both. Then try a DVD movie.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User