I've just Dist-Upgrade to kernel 2.6.28-14.How to get rid of previous kernels?

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Thu Jul 30 17:03:53 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 12:06:37 pm Shannon McMackin wrote:
> Luis Maceira wrote:
> > I still have on my system kernel packages of linux-image-2.6.28-11 and
> > linux-image-2.6.28-13,after dist-upgrade to linux-image-2.6.28-14.I do a
> > dpkg --list "*linux-image*" and all three are installed.My new kernel
> > works OK,so I do not need the previous kernels and kernerls associated
> > packages.But when I try to uninstall them (and I use the correct names as
> > output of dpkg --list) bash tells that they are not installed.This is not
> > true because dpkg --list tells they are installed and ls -ls /boot we see
> > a lot of files related to 11 and 13 versions,and when I did the
> > dist-upgrade just to change to the new kernel and kernel packages apt-get
> > told me that it would take more 173MB of disk space,so only maintaining
> > the previous kernels that would be possible.
> > So,how can I get rid of the previous kernels and associated packages?Are
> > there any trick in ubuntu? in debian I just needed to know the names
> > with dpkg --list and uninstall them with dpkg or apt-get.Apt-get
> > autoremove also does not work in this case.
>
> If you fire up synaptic, you can actually see all the kernel-related
> packages and what can be removed...

Which is a much better way of doing it than to rely on a CLI command that you
have no idea what it does!   You may wish to keep at least the previous
kernel if you are sure it worked with everything you use.  It would be
possible to boot into that one instead to use that program if the newer
kernel chocked on it until you can get it all "bugfixed".

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403