managing responses from message digest format of list

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 30 14:35:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

>      Now for a question...I have the message digest form of this list
>     delivered to my gmail. Any nifty method for replying to specific
>     posts without cutting and pasting each time?

Not that I am aware of. That is the dis-advantage of the digests.

Note that cutting the text by hand from the digest into an email to
'reply' is not really replying in the proper 'email' sense, in that your
email will not properly identify itself as a reply in its headers and
thus any decent threaded email client will *not* show it as a reply to
the original email. No way around this I know of (??) and doing this too
often will start to annoy people as you will keep starting a new thread
each time you reply.

Personally, I recommend switching back to receiving each post in full.
The digest mode is more of a PITA than it is worth. To avoid filling up
your inbox create a folder for this list in your gmail account and set
it up to automatically filter all mail from this list into it...

cheers Chris