Why is Synaptic version of Subversion not upgradeable?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Wed Jul 29 17:13:15 UTC 2009

bill walton wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 23:56 +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>> bill walton:
>>
>> > I'm running 8.04 LTS (64-bit) and installed Subversion 1.4.6 via the
>> > Synaptic Package Manager.  I now need to upgrade to SVN version 1.5.
>> > The package manager doesn't show SVN as upgradeable.  Has support for
>> > SVN been discontinued?
>>
>> No, but for the vast majority of packages there will be no version
>> upgrades during the lifetime of a specific Ubuntu version in the "core"
>> repositories.
>
> How the hell is that any better than Windows?  You're saying that if the
> SVN team 'certified' v1.5 on Hardy LTS, the Ubuntu team would still
> require me to 'upgrade'?

If you need to stay current with an app then it's always best to install
it yourself. This is common practice for folk doing development work. I
have a bunch of things in /opt running from development repos.

>> > What do I need to do to upgrade?
>>
>> If you don't want to build it yourself or find some third-party packe
>> source, you can either upgrade to Intrepid or enable the hardy-backports
>> repository.
>
> And spend days upgrading all the other packages on my system, and in the
> process breaking the apps I'm developing on the box, requiring still
> more of my time on unproductive, unpaid work.

Hey, it's Linux; the packaging folk are unpaid too. Configuring tools is
just a meat and tatties job for any developer. In any case, it's really
not that hard.

> Subversion is a core development tool. This policy is BS.

Move to git. I audibly groan these days when I have to work with svn.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."