unable to disable ipv6 on Ubuntu hardy 8.04

Randall J. Parr RParr at TemporalArts.COM
Tue Jul 28 21:08:02 UTC 2009

I am having some strange problems trying to connect Ubuntu 8.04 clients
to an Oracle database server using Oracle Instant Client.

Some of the sqlplus trace messages led me to want to try disabling IPV6
on the Ubuntu 8.04 clients.

I found several references on how to disable IPV6 but they do not seem
to be working.

I have tried changing /etc/modprobe.d/aliases as follows:

# alias net-pf-10 ipv6
alias net-pf-10 ipv6 off
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

I have also tried adding to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
blacklist ipv6

During reboot I get a message about not loading blacklisted ipv6 BUT
when I test for ipv6 it is still there. That is, after reboot both the
following should return nothing but I get:

# ip a |grep inet6
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
    inet6 fe80::64b:80ff:fe80:8003/64 scope link
    inet6 fe80::250:56ff:fec0:1/64 scope link
    inet6 fe80::250:56ff:fec0:8/64 scope link

# lsmod |grep ipv6
nf_conntrack_ipv6      17800  0
ipv6                  272932  44 nf_conntrack_h323,nf_conntrack_ipv6
nf_conntrack           66752  17 xt_state,nf_conntrack_tftp, \
   xt_conntrack,nf_conntrack_amanda,nf_conntrack_netbios_ns, \
  nf_conntrack_pptp,nf_conntrack_proto_udplite,nf_conntrack_sip, \

nf_conntrack_h323,nf_conntrack_irc,nf_conntrack_ftp,nf_conntrack_proto_gre,
\
  nf_conntrack_proto_sctp,nf_conntrack_netlink,nf_nat, \
  nf_conntrack_ipv6,nf_conntrack_ipv4

(slashes added by me to wordwrap output)

Anybody know how I can kill this pig once and for all?

Thanks
R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts