how to apply nvidia settings from the command line?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Jul 28 13:58:21 UTC 2009

Hullo everyone.

When I click "apply" in the NVidia configuration program
"nvidia-settings", the screen blanks, and after a second or two
everything comes back with the new settings applied and all my windows
intact. Great for switching between twinview mode and normal mode.

However, to do this I need to start nvidia-settings, click on a few
things, click apply, then click "OK" to confirm I want to keep the
changes, then "Quit" to exit. It's easy to make a mistake (the GUI has a
few oddities), so I'd like to be able to automate it all.

nvidia-settings has a command line mode, and I can get nvidia-settings
to load a configuration OK, but it doesn't then do whatever the "apply"
button does, and there seems to be no command line option to tell it to
do so.

The following answers are NOT correct:

   - use CTL-ALT-Backspace
   - install dontzap, then use CTL-ALT-Backspace
   - use rightAlt-printscreen-k
   - sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart (and variations like kdm, xdm etc)
   - log out and log back in

All these cause all session information to be lost.

I'll keep working on it, but if anyone has any good ideas...

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF