Why my ubuntu usb interface is always halt?

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 04:10:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 5:45 PM, zhihang wang<zhihang.wang at gmail.com> wrote:
> My ubuntu version is 9.04 and my notebook model is asus a6517cr-dr.
> When I copy some files from the usb disk, it always halt.''

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I picked up a PNY 8G usb stick
the other day, and was copying some rather large ISOs on it (4g & 2g
sizes) to bring to a meeting. It literally took several hours to copy
one of the files to the disk, even though it is a usb 2.0 device and
there are no usb 1.s devices on my system. The machine is a relatively
fast machine, a Core2Quad system with 4 gigs of ram running Ubuntu
9.04, fully updated. Yet, when I monitor the progress of the copy,
there are numerous and frequent stalls during the write cycle. But it
doesn't halt, as the OP suggests, it just stalls for what seems to be
a long time.

It's a relatively new Asus MB, purchased in January. There are a large
number of USB ports available, but for convenience's sake, I am using
the front panel ones.

I'm noticing similar behavior when writing to my relatively new 16 gig
media player - copying large files, or a lot of smaller files, takes a
very long time.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.