How to paste files to windows shares and access those shares from the shell command line?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 26 08:07:12 UTC 2009

2009/7/25 David M. Karr <davidmichaelkarr at gmail.com>:
> Using Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> When I set up Ubuntu 8.10 several months ago, I had no trouble
> connecting to shares on a Windows box on the local network.  When I use
> Nautilus to explore, I can see those files.
>
> One thing I have trouble with with these shares is that I often am
> unable to paste files or directories that I had "Copy"ed from the same
> Nautilus session.  I've tried numerous times, making sure that I copied
> the file or directory correctly, and then when I go over to the file
> share, the "Paste" option isn't available.
>
> The other issue that I have is that I dont know how to see those shares
> except through nautilus. Is there a way I can get to them through the
> shell on the command line?  I noticed annotations like "smb:/...", but I
> couldn't get that to work.

I think you may be asking for the windows shares to be automatically
mounted at boot up.  To do this I have, in /etc/fstab

//192.168.1.100/My\040Documents /media/mydocs cifs rw,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

You must create the folder /media/mydocs (or whatever) first.

After editing fstab type
sudo mount -a
in a terminal window to force the mount.  My experience is that with
windows this may take tens of seconds.

Google for ubuntu windows share will provide lots of useful links.

Colin