Capturing boot up messages to text file.

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 24 20:00:33 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 7/24/09, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:

> From: Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net>
> Subject: Re: Capturing boot up messages to text file.
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Friday, July 24, 2009, 12:11 PM
> Brian McKee wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Ray Parrish<crp at cmc.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying to capture the boot up messqges from
> debug to  a text file,
> >> but my attempt at redirection did not work. Here
> is what I tried -
> >>

> > At the risk of stating the obvious - what you need
> isn't in  `sudo dmesg`
> > ?
> >
> > Brian
> >
> No, it's not... I want to capture the messages that scroll
> by on boot up
> to see what gets done when as the machine boots up. dmesg
> doesn't even
> come close to matching what goes by then.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

I may be sticking my nose in where it's not wanted or needed, but. Didn't the links NoOp posted show that bootlogd is not functional in the most recent issues of Ubuntu.  That's what I got out of it and also from my own personal experience in trying to get it to work long before this thread came up. I've never been able to get it to work since it first became disabled in Ubuntu.  In case I misinterpreted the links and there is a way to get bootlogd working, I'd sure like to know how.  I've tried everything mentioned in this current thread and it doesn't help.  I don't know why Ubuntu can't get bootlogd to populate boot messages in /var/log/boot as other Linuxes seem able to do so. Somewhere I read that there is a bug in bootlogd that affected the system but if that's the case why can other Linuxses log the messages?  Is there a solution out there. Sorry for the long post, I'm just expressing my experience and frustration and wishing something emphatic
 would be posted regarding the issue.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net