Linux-Evolution upgrade as a solution to techno-political problems

Siggy Brentrup ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de
Wed Jul 22 17:14:43 UTC 2009

Hi Piper,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 09:33 -0700, you wrote:
> I would not be pursuing a technical solution if there were no "political"
> problem.
>
> There are several hundred people on the political lists cc'd and I worked
> hard to create and build up those lists. Now I cannot post to them. Can
> anyone explain that as only a technical problem?
>
> **************
> Why then should I trust someone else to host my future lists?
> **************

What you're looking after has a completely different solution.  In the
'80s up to early '90s when there was no affordable internet access we
used a UUCP (acronym for Unix-to-Unix-Copy-Protocol) network that
worked by transferring batches of files (emails being special files)
between peers.  Building a network of peers made it possible to
communicate freely without any authority interfering.  Looking into
MTA configuration (e.g. postfix/master.cf) uucp seems still to be
supported - now on top of TCP/IP, I didn't use it after '97.

In case you're losing internet access and thus TCP/IP as transport
medium, you can immediately fall back to the node-to-node dialing
transport making communications a lot slower but still working.

nostalgic-ly yours
  Siggy

ps. look at the long email address below, the meaning should be
    clear w/o translation :)
--
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de
               or:                bsb-at-psycho-dot-i21k-dot-de