admin authorization for management

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Sun Jul 19 18:33:37 UTC 2009

On Sunday 19 July 2009 10:46:33 am Charles Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I run the update-manager or other graphics front-end for apt-get, I'm
> prompted to enter my own password.

If you were the installing person that is exactly what it is supposed to do.
Ubuntu gives only the original user admin privileges by default in order to
use the sudo system.

> I'd like to have to enter the root
> password instead

Ubuntu has the root password locked out by default,  See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo for additional info.  However, if
you DO enable the root password you will find quite a few things no longer
able to work correctly so make sure you understand how to get it back into
the proper password locked out mode or you will always have trouble trying to
update and an upgrade will likely have to be a complete reinstall, which will
of course fix sudo the way it is supposed to be.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403