Port 25 and Static/Dynamic IP for Listserve SW

Piper pay_the_piper at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 18 21:04:35 UTC 2009

Are you saying then that they are personally reading the mail to decide if
it is "spam" or a public listserve?

That it is more than a technical matter of HW and automated SW to catch spam
etc. and these ISPs are in effect listening in?

If so, all that port 25 and dynamic/static ip stuff is moot. It gets down to
ISP personal decisions.

My thinking is this:

Either I use Majordomo or Mailman "as is" and I use them for PRIVATE lists,
not public list service or I have Evolution modified for the 2 criteria I
stated earlier. All that means is I need the same list service that Express
gives me but in addition (1) an automatic sub-unsub feature; (2) a feature
whereby everyone on the list gets his posting sent to all on the list.

Since that violates no Shaw rule, there should be no problem.

I ask my puter shop for estimates on the three alternatives above (unless
they know of a ready-made program which does the job).

Should I switch to another public server instead of Yahoo? No, because I
have no reason to expect they will be any better and I posted the complaints
about Yahoo here earlier ..... and to Yahoo repeatedly.

an emphatic NO.

I do not want the legal liability of being responsible for what other people
put on lists over which I have no control. Also I cannot get rich from this
because if I can set up my own private listserver (and it seems I can) then
so can anyone else.

PS - Some day the same thing may have to be done with free public web sites.
We may have to host our own web sites on our own computers.