9.04 can't find second hard drive.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Jul 17 21:32:59 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> 	Mark if you go back to the beginning it is worse. He didn't tell us it
> was a new mother board. The new HD is a SATA drive. Perhaps the new
> mother board BIOS doesn't like IDE any more? He has a 1000 GB new hard
> drive so I think the best thing to do is just get 9.04 working to his
> satisfaction.
>
> 	Also he has a IDE CD drive. And the old HD is on a data cable as the
> master or slave no-one can tell. The IDE CD drive I think is always
> jumpered slave except when someone moves it. Also on NEW IDE things you
> can jumper them for do not care.
>
> 	So lots is not clear.
>
> 73 Karl

Do not, under any circumstances tell me to read the thread. I read it.
I asked to clear up some ambiguities.

I am AWARE the new drive is SATA, If you actually read my post, you'd
bleeding well know that.  (And you presume to tell me to read the thread?)

And I am much more inclined to think the drive is bad than the BIOS.  It
obviously has an ATA/IDE slot, so it should detect the drive at the very
least.  It's not.  We KNOW the BIOS can see the IDE CD-drive, so it's
not totally BIOS related.  As I've said before, I've rarely ever seen
BIOS fail like that.  And certainly not in the last 5 years.  Doesn't
mean it's not possible, just not likely.  I'm of the mindset that the
drive failed somehow. (And static discharge is a good place to start
even if it's not likely either.

So, you really think it's best that he ignore the old drive issues and
just carry on like it never happened?  Have you even considered the fact
that if the BIOS is bad that maybe, just maybe, there will be other
issues with the MB down the road?  That the BIOS will suddenly fail
outright?  What kind of advice is that?

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415