Does sources list mess require fresh install

LL Phillips lilo.phillips at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 17 12:54:43 UTC 2009

Thanks for your reply.  Below is my sources list now but I think I'm in
more trouble than I know and will have to learn how to reformat and
reinstall because showing in my top right hand corner is a red & white
one-way sign , meanwhile the video is complaining about low-resolution
so I need to use the console startx login.  There is a new release of
CANTA anyway so maybe I'll be better off.
Lorraine

 > ?I tried to manually edit my sources list on my first try installing
 > > Ubuntu 9.04 using Live CD in an effort to get CANTA music software

OK, firstly, what lines were changed?

Secondly, did the canta repository add files that were in other
repositories that make it difficult to back out the changes? This is
assuming you actually installed from that repository.

Deleting the repository is simple - just edit the file as root, place
a # (comment) in front of the deb and deb-src lines for that
repository, and then save & quit, then do "aptitude update" as root.

# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386
(20090420.1)]/ jaunty main restricted
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted universe

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted
universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive
any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/stefan-canta-game/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http:/ppa.launchpad.net/stefan-canta-game/ppa/ubuntu intrepid
main

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the
Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the
'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it
includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful
features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any
review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository.
## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and
the
## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-security main restricted
universe