connect to qn ISP

nico dehert ndhert at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 18:55:58 UTC 2009

On a laptop I installed Ubuntu 9.04 using a CD.
The laptop has a wireless interface that connects to my home
wireless network (via a brand new DLink wireless router).
When booted in Ubuntu, it makes a succesfull connection to
my home wireless network: in the top bar (system notification area)
the icon (4 blue stepped bars) is shown and tells met that my
wireless network connection is active.

But how do I now connect to the internet?
On the same PC, which is dual boot WinXP/ubuntu 9.04, from
WinXP and using the wireless interface, I can connect to the Internet after
doing the necessary set-up to connect to my ISP provider with username
and pasword.
This was done in WinXP New connection Wizard, connect to Internet,
manual setup, broadband connection, and entering username and
password.

How does one setup a connection to an ISP from Ubuntu ?
what is the equivalent procedure to perform ?