Connect to proftpd remotely to upload files

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 14 00:37:51 UTC 2009

On 07/11/2009 08:50 PM, Larry Wells wrote:
> I am trying to set up Ubuntu 9.04 so that I can upload files to it from
> another computer, not on the same network.  I have gone through and
> configured proftpd and have a user.
>
> Here is the config file http://paste.ubuntu.com/216007/
>
> I am just not sure how to set up the ftp program on the other computer
> so that I can connect to the Ubuntu machine.
>
> Thanks in advance

Are both systems Ubuntu? If so, it is more secure to use sftp (or even
fish if you wish) between them than ftp. sftp is a bit slower (for a
reason), but allows restart in sessions where as fish does not (at least
that is my understanding).

If using the Gnome desktop:

1. Install ssh on both systems (sudo apt-get install ssh - that will
install both the OpenSSH client and the OpenSSH server on the mahine).
2. Open Nautilus (Places)|Connect to Server|Service type:
SSH|Server: IP address|Connect.

You can then transfer files between the two in the same manner that you
copy & paste files in Nautilus now.

Note: be aware that by sftp'ing into the remote machine you have the
ability to change/modify/delete etc., files on that machine that may
affect it's operation. Take appropriate security and file precautions.