problem with hostname

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Thu Jul 9 20:08:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 13:32 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>         You have been given very bad information on this list. I just
> decided
> to change my hostname to hardy on this Hardy computer. It was at the
> time karl-hardy.
>
> Step one. first cd to the /etc/ directory.
>
> Step two. Open a Terminal Window and write this: $ cat /etc/hostname
> and
> you should see your old hostname.
>
> Step three. In a Terminal Window write this: $ sudo
> gedit /etc/hostname
> and replace the existing with the correct hostname you want. Save the
> new file.
>
> Step four. Now do this: $ sudo /etc/hosts and you will see an old
> hostname listed with other things. Replace the old with the same
> hostname you put into /etc/hostname. Save the new file.
>
>         Now your new hostname will keep working for as long as you
> please.

So telling him to do what we already told him to do makes it good
information how?  We are now on to figuring out why it won't stay
persistent and if something is broken, hence the checking of the logs
and other suggestions.

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux, simple.  If you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."