Floppy drive not responding.

HermanAA hermanaa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 04:25:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 17:05 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/08/2009 04:44 PM, HermanAA wrote:
> > CONCLUSION:  When Ubuntu 8.10-Intrepid has been installed and you add a
> >  floppy drive to the system (afterwards):
> >  DO NOT CREATE A LINE IN FSTAB! (it messes up the system)

> Interesting... I didn't check in intrepid, only hardy and jaunty. You
> might find these of interest:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs/+bug/330314
> [Floppy Drive Not Recognized]

You gave the answer before I asked the question:
After restart I could not access the floppy:

This page has the solution:

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FloppyRecognition

......... the module has to be manually added.
     1. MS-DOS Floppies
Open a terminal and enter the following:
gksu gedit /etc/modules

Add the line:
floppy
Save the file and reboot Ubuntu.

.... did the trick. I now can see the floppy icon and I have normal
access again.

Thanks NoOp (again!)