[VirtualBox] was Re: visualbox

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 8 22:02:29 UTC 2009

On 07/08/2009 02:20 PM, Raquel wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:10:01 -0700
> NoOp <snip> wrote:
>> > I don't know what your specific problem is, but the following
>> > helped me.
>> > http://www.davidgrant.ca/virtualbox_usb_windows_xp_guest_ubuntu_hardy
>> >

>> Those instructions are very dated. You no longer should need to do
>> any of that.
>>
>> About the only additional thing you might want to do is install
>> dkms, see: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
>>

> It may be "very dated", but I just had to do it to make USB work.
> I'm running Intrepid, installed VisualBox 3.0 PUEL, everything worked
> but USB.  I followed those instructions and it worked.
>
> Perhaps it's outdated, but it worked for me.

Interesting... the only thing that I had to do from 2.x on was to simply
ensure that the user is part of the vboxusers group per
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-vboxdrv.rules. No fstab entries, no mountkernfs.sh
mods, etc. Prior to that I had this in my fstab, but it's since been
commented out:

# none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=111,devmode=664 0 0