No good CD-Rom copy software (fwd)

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 11:36:52 UTC 2009

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Di, 2009-07-07 at 08:49 +1000, Res wrote:
>> So, Oli, what has Ubuntu got to say about this....., also please CC Jorg
>> directly in Emails reference this issue (as he is not a member of this list).
>
> no idea what "ubuntu has to say" about this and i'm really not
> interested in discussing this beyond this last mail i will send to the
> thread.
>
> note that i only speak on behalf of myself.
> on technical matters in ubuntu the technical board speaks for the
> distro, on community matters of ubuntu the community council speaks, on
> oliver grawerts matters who is a member of this mailing list, a member
> of the ubuntu community and a member of the developers of ubuntu, only
> oliver grawert speaks.
>
> if you read my mails i wrote here before you will see that i didn't
> express any opinion on the topic at all but pointed to former
> discussions, facts and announcements.
>
> ... but to state an opinion:
>
> i trust the technical board of ubuntu, mark specifically could have
> given the review to internal lawyers of canonical and be done with it.
> instead the TB asked an independent third party lawfirm and actually
> invested some time and work into the matter. it was discussed in at
> least three technical board meetings i attended with great desire to
> include it form all participants but due to uncertainy about the license
> issues it was decided to hand it out to someone else and make a decision
> based on the reply.
>
> i don't know joerg but would surely spend him a beer for his great work
> if we would meet. on the other hand while he is a great programmer, he
> seems to be not much of a diplomat which is sad and harms the wide use
> of his software in linux distros.
>
> quoting from http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html : ...
> Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL), version 1.0
> This is a free software license. It has a copyleft with a scope that's
> similar to the one in the Mozilla Public License, which makes it
> incompatible with the GNU GPL. This means a module covered by the GPL
> and a module covered by the CDDL cannot legally be linked together. We
> urge you not to use the CDDL for this reason.
>

> Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the term Ć¢??intellectual
> propertyĆ¢??.
> i don't understand how joerg can state the fsf declares his software
> legal while they exactly say it is not in the above statement (cdrecord
> links GPL code against CDDL code) so he accuses the fsf to lie either to
> him or to us ...
>
> apparently eben moglen lies as well (or the technical board does) since
> eben told him in private his software was safe to distribute for a third
> party while he told the opposite to the techboard.
>
> damned, this world is full of liars ...
>
> i personally never had a problem writing CDs in ubuntu but personally
> [...]

	Hi oli, you suggest we write our feelings to a Technical Board Agenda
wiki. But in all of this message you explain the problem with cdrecord
is a legal problem. How can I talk to Rosen or another lawyer and find
out for sure what the legal problem is? This is hard because I hate my
wife's Sister because she became a lawyer. But on this issue she might
be an assett...

73 Karl

- --

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI