disappearing desktop[SOLVED]

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Mon Jul 6 08:22:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> Check ~/.xsessions-errors
>>
>> Also, you shouldn't need to reinstall anything. You most likely have a
>> messed up config file. This looks to be similar:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/196263
>> [Desktop icons not appearing]
>
> The link nailed it. Thanks

Spoke too soon. Running /usr/bin/nautilus restores the icons but doesn't
persist through a reboot. I'd love to know what file got corrupted.
Barring that, I think the command needs to be put into a startup file,
one of the init files or perhaps ~/.bashrc. Sound reasonable? If so,
which and what syntax?

--
Bob Holtzman
AF9D 8760 0CFA F95A 6C77  E125 BF90 580F 8D54 9279