What pgm reads the /etc/network/interfaces file? (Installation WPA worked great! Too bad I messed with it!)

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Jul 5 23:59:24 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:

> On 06/28/2009 01:17 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> Were I you, I'd look into installing wicd...
>>
>> Oh God, I hear that music playing again.  Sure there are issues with
>> NetworkManager - but there are issues with Wicd too, and it's not as well
>> supported by Ubuntu.  I see 14 bugs filed against wicd, all but 1 one of
>> them still "New" - they're not getting much action.  Network-manager has
>> far more open bugs (565) but 60% of them are getting _some_ attention.
>>
>> Sure, go ahead install wicd but don't expect to be able to get much help
>> if it doesn't work.
>
> It was a _suggestion_ to _look into installing wicd_.

Sure, but every time somebody has a network issue, _somebody_ has to suggest
that wicd is a good alternative, without ever suggesting that it has it's
own problems and far less support than Network Manager. I have nothing
against wicd, but unless you have good reason to believe that it _will_ fix
the OP's problem, I don't think it's very responsible to suggest he ditch NM
for it.
--
derek