Any experience of Virtualbox hanging the LAN?

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Fri Jul 3 04:11:32 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/02/2009 05:45 PM, sdavmor wrote:
>> I have upgraded to vbox 3.0.0 on Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04.  I am running
>> Windows XP svc pk 3 in the virtual.  My vbox networking has been NAT
>> on "adapter 1" using the PCnet-FAST III.
>
> You might want to try the Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM) instead.
> There were some issues in the past with the PCnet-FAST III.

I'll d/l them right now and see if that makes any difference.

> There used to be no issue
>> with this (other than speed).  But now as soon as the virtual WinXP
>> gets to the login point I lose my networking.  In addition within
>> seconds I'll hear from my family "what happened to the internet" as
>> they appear to lose there's as well.
>>
>> My question is has anyone else experienced this?  If so what did you
>> do about it?  Right now I am working from the premise that something
>> is munging the hand-off between the virtual NIC and the real NIC on my
>> motherboard.  And that it in turn is overloading the router so it
>> can't process either inbound or outbound traffic properly.
>
> I'd recommend checking on the virtualbox list:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
>
> Nevermind... I see that you've already done that on the VB list.
>
> I'll install VB 3.0 later this evening on the other 9.04 machine & see
> if I can reproduce.

Thanks.  I'll be busy for the next few hours doing remote support for
a customer so there's no rush.
Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
on CDBaby: CDBaby <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>