How to upgrade Ubuntu from desktop edition to Server edition

John Hubbard ender8282 at ymail.com
Thu Jul 2 18:11:36 UTC 2009

>From: NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>
>On 06/27/2009 07:37 AM, vishal nemade wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I have installed Ubuntu Desktop edition 9.04. But I need Server edition. How
>> can I upgrade Ubuntu from desktop edition to Server edition or is there any
>> way I can install Server on Ubuntu Desktop edition. I tried to search the
>> forum but couldn't find a perfect answer.

>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tasksel

>$ sudo tasksel install lamp-server

I missed the OP so maybe I didn't see the part where they requested a lamp-server but it doesn't sound like they are looking for a lamp server so much as ubuntu server edition.  Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong here but I thought that the difference between the two was 1) installed software and 2) kernel choice.  To get 'server' edition up and running the OP would need to install the server kernel
sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.XX-XX-server
After the server kernel is installed edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to make sure the the server kernel is the default and then reboot.  The system will now be using the server kernel and programs can be added or removed to suit the OP's needs.

-john