Problems using live CD on new machine

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 1 18:51:18 UTC 2009

On 07/01/2009 09:13 AM, Richard wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:05:07 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> > One other peculiarity with my setup is that my HDs are running off a
>> > pci disk controller, but that shouldn't stop the live CD from
>> > running, should it?
>>
>> Not that I know of. My guess is the crossfire/graphics issue above, so
>> I'd search those links and see if you pin down a workaround.
>
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> I'm not sure that it's a graphics issue.  I tried using an nvidia pci
> express card and disabling the onboard graphics, but still have the same
> problem.  It gets some of the way and then hangs after
> io scheduler cfg registered (default)
> I tried the kernel parameter suggestions: acpi=off nofb noapic
> elevator=deadline iommu=noaperture, but they have not helped so far.
> I've tried 8.04 and 8.10, Suse 11.0, and 9.04 (which is known to have
> problems).
>
> I'm now getting desperate enough to be thinking about buying Windows,
> after 17 years of OS/2 and Linux.  Or just not doing anything that
> requires computers.
>
> - Richard

Can you try knoppix? I don't think that I've ever had a system that
wouldn't boot w/knoppix. Well, I did have one that needed some kernel
parameters set first, but it was a 12 year old system with the original
bios. If it won't run knoppix, then I'd seriously consider hardware issues.

A few other things you can try (use knoppix liveCD rather than liveDVD),
not necessarily in order & some are WAG's & obvious, but I'll list them
anyway:

1. Unplug the hard drives & test. Knoppix (and I suspect the Ubuntu
liveCD may) will boot just fine without hard drives.
2. Unplug any other unecessary peripherals (extra CD drives etc) & test.
3. If you are using USB anything (keyboard, mouse, etc) try w/non-usb
alternates.
4. Assuming you've run full memory tests firsts, if you have multiple
ram sticks, remove all but one. Strange things can happen with mixed/bad
ram.
5. Check all cables & switches. And not so much required these days, but
if it's a new motherboard/system I'd reseat any socket mounted devices
(chips, ribbon cables, etc).
6. Make sure that your bios is fully updated. Sometimes new motherboards
may have been sitting on a shelf for awhile & may not ship with the
latest bios fixes. Check with ASUS/google.

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&ei=ua9LStqFNpDMNYbtuKwB&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=asus+M4A78+Pro+%2Bbios&spell=1>