Problems using live CD on new machine

Richard richardkimber at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 1 16:13:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:05:07 -0700
NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > One other peculiarity with my setup is that my HDs are running off a
> > pci disk controller, but that shouldn't stop the live CD from
> > running, should it?
>
> Not that I know of. My guess is the crossfire/graphics issue above, so
> I'd search those links and see if you pin down a workaround.

Many thanks for your help.

I'm not sure that it's a graphics issue.  I tried using an nvidia pci
express card and disabling the onboard graphics, but still have the same
problem.  It gets some of the way and then hangs after
io scheduler cfg registered (default)
I tried the kernel parameter suggestions: acpi=off nofb noapic
elevator=deadline iommu=noaperture, but they have not helped so far.
I've tried 8.04 and 8.10, Suse 11.0, and 9.04 (which is known to have
problems).

I'm now getting desperate enough to be thinking about buying Windows,
after 17 years of OS/2 and Linux.  Or just not doing anything that
requires computers.

- Richard