Wireless

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Sat Jan 31 15:21:04 UTC 2009

Bill Wright wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 19:49 -0500, Bill Wright wrote:
>>>>

>>> what do you mean by "list of providers"?
>>>
>>> I use an att/cingular gprs card with no problem.  use gnome ppp to
>>> connect, just need password and username.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Steve Reilly
>>>
>>> http://reillyblog.com
>>>
>>> ~ Netiquette ~
>>> http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm
>>>

>> Sprint, AT&T
>>

> How do I enter ppp to connect? I am still inn a early learning curve
> with Linux.

hi,

well for starters make sure it is installed.

sudo apt-get install gnome-ppp

then plug in your card, and type dmesg in a terminal, you should see
something like this at the end of the dmesg listing

[40081.384824] usb 6-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
address 2
[40081.600252] usb 6-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[40081.605497] option 6-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[40081.605771] usb 6-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0

start gnome-ppp from applications> internet> gnome ppp

plug in the pertinent data, user name, password, phone #, etc and dial.

your going to have to google for that stuff, not sure what provider your
using.

come back if you need more help, good luck