Wireless

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Fri Jan 30 14:10:21 UTC 2009

Mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi Steve:
>
> I am trying to find a wireless card from one of my local cell phone
> companies such as Alltel and AT&T but don't know if their wireless
> internet cards will work with my machine and OS. I am using a Dell
> Inspiron 1525 laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome desktop). Can you
> suggest a wireless card that will work? or how I can tell what will work
> and what is compatible, let alone use it. Thank you.
>
> Mark

hi,

sorry, i was under the impression that you had a verizon card already.
which, by the way their parent company vodaphone in europe distributes a
linux native connect client for their cards which works quite nicely.  I
use this card though

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/wifi/cingular-3g-laptopconnect-card-option-gt-max-3-6.aspx

with att/cingular.  works great, i get 40-50 kbps dl speeds with 3g, but
the gprs is more like 15-20 kbps and is kernel supported for a while
now.  I use gnome ppp to connect to the network.  the card i believe is
either free or very minimal cost when you get a year plan for 60 a
month.  they do have a fictitious 5gb month cap, ive hit it before to
see what happened, nothing.  although i suspect they would just give a
friendly warning if you hit it month after month.  which i never do, i
had to download many distros to hit 5gb.  most normal usage you wouldnt
come close to half of that.

ps.  its list practice to post replies below what you respond to.... its
easier for people to read the thread on the web later.  good luck.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~