Ubuntu 8.4 problem

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 30 00:37:50 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> David Curtis wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> Karl
>>>

>> What a load of s**t, The app database at WineHQ has over 11000 entries.
>> Wine, if it works here, would definitely be the easiest solution to
>> implement.
>>

>     I went to goggle and found the Wine pages. In the first page it says:
> Wine is still under development, and it is not yet suitable for general
> use.

LOL.  You have to understand that they've been saying that _forever_.  The
Wine developers are the most cautious software geeks on the planet.  It
really is waaaaaayyyy better that that.

>     So why do you want to make this new guy try to make this work?

Because if you have _one_ application you need, the simplest thing is to go
to WineHQ.org and see what other people say about that app.  If they say it
is "Gold", making it run under Wine is almost certainly simpler than dual
booting with Windows.  If it's rated "Silver", it's probaby simpler.
Anything else, and it might be a bit painful (though if you get it
configured, it's still easier than either rebooting or starting a VM).