What Video Card for 2D

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 17:12:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> Believe or not, despite being open source, the Intel stuff has been much
> more problematic.  In ended up installing an Nvidia card in all my Intel
> Graphic Mobo's, been much happier since.  (last tested on Intrepid)

I seem to have a similar experience. Up until recently, I was using a
motherboard that featured an onboard 6100 nvidia card (ECS Geforce)
which has worked well with Ubuntu, better on 8.10 than 8.04.

More recently, I got a Fujitsu A1110 laptop (Intel Mobile 4 graphics)
and a quad-core Intel system based on an ASUS P5QL-EM mobo, which uses
an Intel 4500 video which is on the motherboard. I don't get
acceptable graphics performance, as many 3D things exhibit weird
flashing behavior (the underlying apps & desktop flash in and out when
redrawing the GL screen). I have a friend who gave me an extra nvidia
6200 card (a rebranded EVGA one actually) which I'll try soon and go
back to the nvidia drivers, which (in my experience) have worked
better in trying to run googleearth & compiz fusion.