BSD Dump Utility in ubuntu

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Jan 29 16:54:49 UTC 2009

	I am needing to backup a mixed Unix environment
consisting of ubuntu, Redhat Debian and Freebsd systems to a
FreeBSD platform. All BSD Unix systems have the dump and restore
utility. There is a Linux version of dump for Debian. Are there
any unusual issues with ubuntu that will prevent dump from
safely working other than the possibility of getting a corrupt
backup if one reads an active file system?

	Just about every backup method in normal use has this
problem to one degree or another so I am asking if there is
anything peculiar to ubuntu that we will need to look out for?

Thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer