printing via serial to usb cable

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 22:32:27 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>>>     Let me understand this. You put new ink in the printer and it
>>> stopped working? Why are we talking about cups and /dev/ttyS0 when the
>>> problem is he/she got a bad ink or installed it wrong?
>>>
>>>     Fix the ink problem and then perhaps all will be good.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>> 20090128 1551 GMT-5
>>
>> Woo dont take that out of context.
>>
>> I ran out of ink a month or so ago and the printer sat until I got some
>> more. When I installed the ink I moved the printer over to another table
>> so I unplugged the cable. When I moved the printer back and plugged in
>> the cable and I started having problems again.
>>
>> And I can print as I said a few posts back:
>> wadesmart at wadesmart:~$ sudo echo "Printer Test" > /dev/ttyUSB0
>>
>> That will sent a job to the printer but you have to manually press GO on
>>   the printer to get it to print. However, that is not very efficient.
>>
>> Wade
>>

>     Press GO on the printer? This is unusual since all my printers both
> Laser and ink jet just work and have no GO button. On my old Brother
> Laser it has a button to start the printer for instance, after you run
> out and add more paper.
>
>     In any case the button has nothing to do with your cable problems I
> guess.
>
> Karl

20090128 1630 GMT-5

Right, I should have to press go but then again, when Im using the echo
command, and using a serial to usb... it just doesnt understand.

I just borrowed my friends inkjet and tried the parallel to usb and its
giving errors on his windows system as well.

I give in on this one. Ill just find a $30 card. For now that is cheaper
than a new printer. :D

Thanks all

Wade

--