printing via serial to usb cable

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:25:02 UTC 2009

Wade Smart wrote:
> 20090128 0906 GMT-5
>
> I recently posted about my parallel to usb cable causing lots of
> problems on my system - and since I received no help there I decided to
> try something else.
>
> I borrowed a serial to usb cable. I was able to print a test page by:
> sudo echo "Printer Test" > /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> but I havent been able to print any other way.
>
> In cups I changed the uri to usb://dev/ttyUSB0 and then I ran the
> configure script but nothing changed.
>
> What else can I try?
>
> Wade

    The problem your having is VERY POOR devices to convert an old
Parallel port to a USB port. This is just a terrible thing to design!
You have data arriving in parallel and sent out in serial by the USB
port. The converter has to process the data bits fast enough to get it done.

    Now going from Serial to USB is a much better thing to design. But
you need to remember that the serial port has some weird things hard for
the USB port to handle. But if you got it to work at least once, go to
the printer setup system and set it for a serial port and I may work.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User