Sites that require Internet Explorer

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 26 02:46:31 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2009/1/25 Scott <sclewin at sgaming.ca>:
>> Linda wrote:
>> Several!  You REALLY need to contact your local MP or MPP and tell them
>> how stupid it is to have only IE sites.  Make sure to give them all the
>> reasoning including security flaws and the fact that more and more
>> people are using FF and Opera.
>>
>> Also, I don't think it is illegal for governments to take money from
>> Microsoft in Commonwealth countries.  Here in Canada, a Commonwealth
>> country, our schools at one time took money from Microsoft in exchange
>> for keeping computer Microsoft here.  It was considered a donation I
>> think and they made Bill Gates look like he was the next Jesus.
>>

> I have heard that in commonwealth countries, non-accessible websites
> are illegal. The intent was to make the websites accessible to
> screenreaders and such. I hope that someone more knowledgeable will
> fill in. The ruling is binding on the websites of governments, public
> facilities, and corporations.

The "Commonwealth" is little more than a group of countries with sometimes
quite tenuous connections.  As far as I know, there are no laws whatsoever
that are binding on all members of the Commonwealth.  There are a few
British laws that can only be changed with the support of some members of
the Commonwealth (the royal succession comes to mind).

That said, Commonwealth members do have conferences where they pass
resolutions that the members are strongly encouraged to pass as laws in
their own countries, and countries that won't abide by resolutions could be
ejected from the Commonwealth.

So back to "accessible websites.  In Canada, the Treasury Board (which sets
the rules for other government departments websites) requires all public
government websites to be accessible.  I'm not sure there's any law at all
behind that, but if the sites weren't accessible they would be subject to
suits under the Charter of Rights.  As one who builds websites both for the
government and "public facilities", I can guarantee you that those rules
only apply to actual government departments (though, again, the sites of
"public facilities" could be subject to the Charter of Rights).  In fact,
the sites I build for an organization which is quasi-governmental, largely
funded by the government, but not subject to Treasury Board rules, is
probably more accessible than sites built strictly to the TB rules, but
that's just our choice of framework.