ssh within lan, bidirectional, causes Linksys wireless router to hiccough

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 12:59:24 UTC 2009

Alan E. Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 1:20 AM, John Hubbard <ender8282 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Alan E. Davis wrote:
>>
>>>                            I have other questions about connecting
>>>
>> between a
>>
>>> hardwired connection to my school network, and a machine plugged in to
>>> the same network, but behind a linksys wireless router by dhcp.  Is it
>>> possible to connect them?
>>>
>> I am not totally sure what you are asking but I am pretty sure that
>> answer is yes.  If the school machine doesn't have a firewall standing
>> in its way you should be able to connect to it, and push files to it
>> from a wired or wireless computer on your network.
>>

> The school network is a system wide network with a pretty draconian
> firewall.  My desktop machine is connected to the systemwide network through
> a gateway on campus.  A wireless router is connected to the same gateway,
> and a pc in my room can connect by dhcp to the network through the wireless
> router.  I am uncertain what firewall is enabled or not in the linksys
> wireless router.  An internal IP number is assigned by dhcp to the laptop.
> A network address on the school network (also private, but wider ranging) is
> assigned to the desktop.  I want to control the second PC from the desktop.
> I'm unsure how to go about it.  I thought about DynDNS.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Alan
>
> PS.  I apologize for asking two questions in one message, and hope it does
> not cause confusion.

    I have a similar problem with a $35.00 Belkin WiFi Router. The one
way problem is caused by the Firewall and NAT in this router. I got
connected to mine and it has a place where you can turn off both the
Firewall and the NAT. But my Belkin is broken because I could only turn
off the Firewall. The NAT will not turn off perhaps due to poor software
design.

    Try to turn both off on yours and if it works the one way will stop.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User