ssh within lan, bidirectional, causes Linksys wireless router to hiccough

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 22:17:41 UTC 2009

Thank you for your response.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I connected to another machine on the same wireless router by ssh.  Then
> > from that machine, I did "scp <filename> ... " back to the machine I am
> > connecting from.  This clobbered the wireless router.  Unplugging the
> router
> > and modem got things back to normal.
>
> On first glance, that doesn't make any sense to me.  You mean the
> router locked up?  It shouldn't care which direction the majority of
> the bits are flowing...  Is it possible any large transfer in either
> direction kills it?  or was it a one time fluke?  Those cheap little
> wireless routers can be flakey...

This was a 700 GB transfer.  It's happened before, but I didn't catch it.
During the transfer, the Internet connection is unresponsive, and at least
in this one case, the router had to be reset by unplugging and replugging.

> A little ASCII art diagram would likely be helpful here...

I attach a diagram.  I have and ssh connection from B to A.  Then, while I
was browsing on A, I thought to copy a large file to B.  I could either
start a scp connection or sftp from B again, or scp the file back to B from
A.  The copy was extremely slow, and while making it, I could not reach the
Internet outside the Linksys.  After the copy was done, none of the machines
(including another laptop) could access the Internet, until I reset the
Linksys by unplugging.

Thank you for your advice.

Alan
--

It is undesirable to believe a proposition when
there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.