ssh within lan, bidirectional, causes Linksys wireless router to hiccough

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 15:15:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I connected to another machine on the same wireless router by ssh.  Then
> from that machine, I did "scp <filename> ... " back to the machine I am
> connecting from.  This clobbered the wireless router.  Unplugging the router
> and modem got things back to normal.

On first glance, that doesn't make any sense to me.  You mean the
router locked up?  It shouldn't care which direction the majority of
the bits are flowing...  Is it possible any large transfer in either
direction kills it?  or was it a one time fluke?  Those cheap little
wireless routers can be flakey...

> I like the ability to move files around on the LAN side of the wireless
> setup.  Is there something I need to know more about to do this?

Nope - as far as the system is concerned a network connection is a
network connection - wireless, wired or carrier pidgin (there's an
RFC) it's all the same to scp

> I would very much appreciate hearing from a networking guru about this.  At
> that point I have other questions about connecting between a hardwired
> connection to my school network, and a machine plugged in to the same
> network, but behind a linksys wireless router by dhcp.  Is it possible to
> connect them?

A little ASCII art diagram would likely be helpful here...

Brian