Online connection turtle-slow

Preston Kutzner shizzlecash at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:33:51 UTC 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Jim Kvarnberg wrote:

> When I clicked "online banking" in my bank website or some other
> places
> that require my login ID and password before I could open them, it
> took
> 'forever' to open them.  I got tired of staring at a mouse point icon
> wheel going round and round for a long time.  I fed up and went
> across a
> room to my laptop computer with wireless connection (its OS is Windows
> XP) to open the connection to the same places ... bingo they opened up
> real fast, beating the Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 operated computer.  What was
> wrong?  Any suggestion for solving the problem?  It will be
> appreciated.  Thank you.  Jim
> PS I want to stick to using the Ubuntu system.

There are several things that might be causing the problem.  First, I
assume you were using Firefox on the Ubuntu machine, but you didn't
mention which web browser you used on the Windows machine.  It is
possible that your bank's website only works in IE.  It's also
possible that the site's scripting might not be supported by Ubuntu's
default javascript installation (which, incidentally, isn't Sun's
java).  You might try installing the sun-java6-jre package in Ubuntu
and trying again.  If your bank's site only supports IE, you can try
installing the ies4linux package (which you'll have to hunt down on
the "Internets").