Install is working but takes forever???

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 23:17:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> 20090122 0827 GMT-5
>
> I'm installing 8.04 on a HP Pavilion ze4900. The disk starts up fine but
> then takes like 5 hours and then just shows a black screen. The disk is
> active as I can hear it but nothing is happening. Finally, the screen
> goes to sleep and I cant wake it.
>
> I'm burning another disk just to check though this one went through the
> disk check just fine.

Sounds like it's coming up at the wrong resolution.  You could try the
alternate CD perhaps.  If you give it a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE at the
black screen, does it proceed to shut down properly at that point?

In elder days, you could CTRL-ALT-+ or CTRL-ALT-- to cycle through
available resolutions, but it seems later xorg versions do not allow
that any more.

Perhaps this would help:

HTH,
Chris