And another Ubuntu convert!

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Jan 22 20:08:11 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>
>>>     Read the paper. A new kernel fixed whatever the problem was in 1996.
>>> 13 years later there has not been a second virus.
>>>
>>     Uh, try again.  If you scroll down and click the link "Linux Malware" you
>> end up with a list of about 3 dozen different known malware targeting Linux.
>> One of which I have seen in the wild.  So, sorry, your "has not been a second
>> virus" falls flat.
>>

>     Alright I have never seen a virus sent to me or anyone else I have
> talked to from 1996 to the present day. Why worry?

Indeed, why worry?  Since you are so up to date on your security
practices and are so very comfortable with your settings, feel free not
to worry.  I mean, it's only a matter of time before that attitude will
make you careless.

Besides, without AV software how would you KNOW you've not been sent a
virus?

Sadly, it is that very 'Why worry' attitude that is killing this
country.  90% of the time, those who say that and get bit by it, always
whine and are always a victim and NEVER take responsibility for the fact
that they dropped the ball.

Those of us who DO take responsibility for their actions and their
equipment and data take every precaution necessary to prevent any
incursion into our systems.

This again is my point.  Neither you, nor anyone else is sufficiently
versed enough in every single applications security vulnerabilities to
be able to say 'my system won't be affected'.  It's simply not possible.
 Sure, updates will patch some holes, but others, maybe not.

But, do you KNOW your system is as safe as you think it is?  Have you
done penetration testing?  Do you check your log files every day for
unusual behaviour?  Do you keep a baseline look at system performance to
determine what might be out of the ordinary?

I bet you don't.

So, how can you say you're system is virus/malware free?  Juse 'because
it's linux'?  That's like saying, there's no crime in my neighborhood so
I'll not lock my doors at night.    Doing that often enough is just an
open invitation to get robbed.

I've talked all I'm going to about this.  None of you naysayers will
listen regardless, so I'm wasting my breath.  Be warned, it WILL happen.
 I'd much rather not be you when it does.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support