[AntiVirus + Ubuntu] was - Re: And another Ubuntu convert!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Thu Jan 22 13:10:21 UTC 2009

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Preston Kutzner wrote:
>> It doesn't hurt to have anti-virus software installed on your Linux
>> desktop, but it's not essential like it is when running Windows.
>
> Ok, that's the system-wide part of the problem.
>
> Now, is Linux that more secure for user-only documents?
>
> I ask because one of the things viruses destroy is our personnal data,
> those in $HOME. And those are important data.

If you're talking about today's infectors, that's not what they're
supposed to do. They try to avoid detection and run in the background
quietly, and destroying documents (as actual viruses did back in the
80's and 90's...) is kind of a loud horn announcing their arrival and
subsequent wiping by the local "Geek Squad" visit with a reinstall of
the OS.

Today malware is all about:
1) capturing your keystrokes - so they can get into your bank records
2) providing backdoor access
3) contributing to botnet traffic so they can turn the user's machine in
to a zombie and/or contribute to spreading more of the malware.

Believe me...destroying personal data is kind counterproductive for the
malware team to do when they want to make money, not like the good ol'
days of displaying cleverness and creating headaches for "noobs."