And another Ubuntu convert!, check out puppy linux.

John Heinen hensandpat at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 23:54:00 UTC 2009

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Robert Hodgins wrote:

>>> I have been using Linux since 2005 and not only have I never seen a
>>> Virus on Linux, but none of the people I have installed Ubuntu for have
>>> seen any viruses.
>>>

>> They aren't as common as they are on Windows. But, IIRC, Linux can HARBOR Windows viruses even if they aren't INFECTED by them.
>> So, periodically using some sort of antivirus reduces the possibility of
>> us infecting our Windows friends.
>>

> A) you've never seen "viruses" (let's be serious...we're talking about
> malware. Viruses are just one subset of malware.) on other systems, but
> you said you don't run antivirus. So...what are the chances it *could*
> be infected but just not showing obvious signs?
>
> I really don't prescribe to the infection of Linux philosophy either,
> but I'm just pointing out a possible flaw in your reasoning. It's like a
> deaf man saying he's never heard a foghorn, no?
>
> B) Yes, Linux can harbor viruses. File servers should have antiviruses
> running on them. I store virus samples that had been received via email
> on my Linux system to test antivirus software. I don't run WINE, so my
> Linux system is immune, but once a Windows system executes the
> code...well, since I *know* when I expose them, I am doing it
> specifically to test the antivirus software in the first place, but still...
>
> C) Windows friends? My friends don't run Windows. It's a rule. :-p

But something els about Ubuntu. I am on a dial up connection, it took me
a long time to get a set up and connection with open suse and again with
ubuntu but thanks to you all it got finally done, indeed there are many
helpfull veterans and other sources available. however I still have a
problem getting thru to the provider with ubuntu,
Look at puppy linux, I just got this in a few days ago, all I had to do
to get on the internet was to answer a few questions, like provider,
their phone number and pasword. That was all. I got connected.