And another Ubuntu convert!

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Jan 21 20:58:57 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>> Gilles.
>>
>     I have been using Linux, Red Hat and Ubuntu every day since 1996 and
> I have yet to see a virus. I think a fear of a virus on Ubuntu is unfounded.
>
> Karl

You really cannot be serious.  Man, people like you are fodder for
serious malware writers.

Apparently none of you get it.  This is all about popularity. I take it
none of you have been watching the increase in malware on OSX?  As
Windows market share drops, and OSX share increases the malware authors
see that they need to diversify their efforts.  At some point Windows
won't be the ONLY THING(TM).  Therefore, as linux becomes more popular
(and Ubuntu is a big part of that), malware authors will begin turning
their attention to it.

This is why AV is important.  This is why you need to worry NOW. Not
later.

I swear this 'it can't happen to me' attitude just blows my mind.  Just
because it hasn't yet doesn't mean it won't.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support