And another Ubuntu convert!

Gilles Gravier gilles at
Wed Jan 21 16:35:22 UTC 2009

Hi, Mark!

Mark Haney wrote:
> I'm a little late coming to this thread, but I have a problem.  I don't
> like the fact that you told her that she didn't need antivirus.
> WRONG!  Seriously, this is a dangerous presumption on your part.
> Granted there are very few linux viruses, but this type of attitude will
>  just make virus writers salivate.
This has been discussed so many times... I won't add to the debate.
> Please, please, throw clamav on there and cron freshclam for the latest
> updates.  And don't be tossing that around.  Everyone needs antivirus,
> regardless of OS or the perception of vulnerability of that OS.
ClamAV is not an ON-ACCESS virus scanner, it's an ON-DEMAND. I.e.
useless for the inexperienced user.

You should recommend Avast for Linux Home Edition which is a free
ON-ACCESS scanner. If you really feel paranoid about viruses for Linux.
> Otherwise, this is a great story and one I've been pleased to be part of
> on 5 or 6 occasions with my relatives, especially my Mom
Hehe... Well, people who stay at my place and ask if they can access the
internet from one of my machine, I have them use an old Ubuntu laptop...
they get exposed and love it. :)

/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at* <mailto:Gilles at>
ICQ : *77488526*
Messenger : Gilles at <>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<> || AOL : gillesgravier
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around
the sun."