W7 vs Ubuntu (Was: replacement for VLC: I dont want Qt)

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 13:47:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
<mihamina at lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> I mean why compare?
>
> Because I am the only one that uses Linux in here.
> I obliged my developpers (I am project manager) to use
> Xubuntu-Linux/Emacs to develop. They're quite happy to use it now (at
> the beginning they did not know about Linux) and they dont want to
> get/switch back to Windows anymore (No, they're not affraid of me ;-)).
>
> When Seven will get there, I want to know if the other project managers
> (that continued to run windows, XP) will laugh or not. That's all. I
> noticed our Linux  system are a bit slow now, but that's because we
> installed plenty of things, and I dont know what Seven will be about...
>
>> The real question is, can I do my work or play better with the new
>> gadget? Looking over the fence at other gadgets might provide
>> inspiration but that is all.
>
> It's definitely not about gadget. I just mentionned compiz as a
> superficial example.

If your system is slow then you should find out why. The most likely
problem is that you need more memory. This is a cheep fix and will
help most systems, even Windows. Also look at what is running in the
background. Do you need it? If not turn it off. You can also look at
things like your swappiness setting.

My system felt slow until I set this to 10. This link in very good and
talks about everything. There are a lot of other things you can do to
speed up linux. The most radical is switching to Gentoo. :-)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!