no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 09:30:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> Do you use Adblock plus? If not, I recommend it to you. I am always
>> shocked when I use a computer without it. I had no idea there were so
>> many ads on sites I use!
>>
>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>>
>> Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FFE
>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FFE>
> Hello,
>
> It's no wonder I make so little on the ads on my web site with the
> number of people who use ad blocking software. I often find the ads on
> many sites annoying myself, as many web masters ignore good publishing
> practices, and place more ads than content on their pages, sometimes so
> many that it can actually be rather difficult to even find the token
> offerings of mini content blurbs they rely on to lure visitors to their
> pages.

Sad but true. I started with Adblocking because of flashing ads. Who
can read with one's eyes get caught all the time by the flashing?

> I choose not to block ads, as they can sometimes be a resource that is
> appreciated, if they pertain to something that I am looking for, and
> appear on pages I find with similar topics to a search in progress. With
> my current broadband connection, the additional time required to
> download a page with ads isn't objectionable to me as it was when I
> still had only dial-up.

I am happy to do the pulling, when I need to buy. Why do I need to
subject myself to the advertising psychologists? These people do not
have my best interests at heart. IT is not like they just draw up a
little ad. No, they pay experts big bucks to find a way into your mind
with tools like PET scans to make sure the right bits of your mind are
being turned on to make you buy without even knowing that they are the
ones that controlled you. This is darkest sort of scientific black
art, pure evil. AdBlock plus frees you from this constant attack and
is really easy to install.

> I prefer to keep ads out of the way of my content on my sites, reserving
> the right margin for them, and use the rest of the page for information
> related to what the people visiting my site are actually looking for. I
> also make an effort to review the sites connected to the ads presented
> on my site, to insure that they aren't the type that are ripping people
> off, and whenI find one that does, I am able to block their ad from ever
> appearing on my site again.

That is good of you but in the end the money wins in the majority of
sites so I am not going to turn off my ad blocking any time soon. I
feel for you needing to make money on your web site but no one likes
ads in their faces. A good site that had ads I did not block was
distrowatch but then their ads started flashing, now they are gone
too.

> For my efforts in the past year of advertising on two web sites, even
> 'though my server log analyzer claims that 47% of the people who visit
> my site, bookmark it, I have earned a measly $12, and tend to blame this
> on irresponsible publishers who have driven people to using ad blocking
> software, by over populating their sites with ads in an intrusive,
> annoying manner.

I am sure you are correct. But, I wish I could run adblock plus on my
TV and magazines too! If I want to buy something, I will google it!

> Sorry for the very off topic rant, but your recommendation to yet
> another person to install ad blocking software hit a sensitive nerve.
> 8-) I shall continue to publish in a responsible manner, and keep the
> ads to a minimum so people can continue to find what they come looking for.
>
> Thanks for listening, Ray Parrish

In the end ads use up a huge amount of bandwidth that we all have to
pay for one way or another. I really don't believe in ads on websites
but then I know that people are trying to make a living and these
pushy people will not be getting out of my face any time soon. Thank
God for AdBlock Plus!! Now if we could just get ride of all the spam
senders!!