W7 vs Ubuntu (Was: replacement for VLC: I dont want Qt)

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 09:12:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
<mihamina at lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> If I am wrong and you are just a normal unpayed Windows troll then I
>> am sorry about saying you are a pro.
>
> I just worry about the big jump microsoft is seeming to make in terme of
> sofware quality and wonder if Linux distros has the tech answer.
>
> I remember the times microsoft announced a paradisiac UI that, in fine,
> did not reach 10% of compiz.
>
> I internally wish W7 is just a vaporware and all the good things said
> about it are just paid words. That's why I want to monitor a comparison.

One thing about closed source software is that they can steal from
Open source and no one will ever know about it. But we can't do the
same.

Also what does your Linux system not do? I mean why compare? If your
system lacks something then talk about that and then build it or find
someone that can and wants to. I think compiz is a good example of
something that is cool but almost useless. The only reason I am
excited about the up and coming QT4 is because it is said to be a
better tool for writing better software and thus KDE4 will end up
being faster, easier and more stable than KDE3. This is an improvement
worth having.

The real question is, can I do my work or play better with the new
gadget? Looking over the fence at other gadgets might provide
inspiration but that is all.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!