USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jan 20 02:45:46 UTC 2009

H.S. wrote:

> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>     If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?
>>
>>  karl at karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
>> mount: only root can do that
>> karl at karl-hardy:~$
>>
>>     This makes me think it needs to be root :-)
>

> I think you need to lookup 'users' option for mount command. I also
> think you need to have a line for your /dev/sda2 device in /etc/fstab
> with proper options so that normal users can mount or unmount the
> device. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, and no.

Karl has part of a point - KDE will mount USB devices for you, even when
they aren't in fstab and you aren't root.

If you want to do the mount from a terminal, you either need it in fstab,
with the "user" or "users" option, or you can use "pmount" which should
mount the device under the same conditions that KDE does (see man pmount).